Getting ready to get a subsidized health insurance plan for the rest of your life and planning to enrol in a Medicare plan then get your choices clear as it will determine your premiums and the care you will get. Some supplementary procedures have lower premiums as they limit the treatments. So, choose that Medicare plan that can chunk your medical expenses and also give you subsidized health care. 

Here we list 7 Medicare steps – a wise guide to ensure relief from this daunting task of choosing your Medicare plan:

  1. Signing Up

Medicare plans are enrolled automatically after the age of 65 if you are liable for social security benefits or else you must get yourself registered. If you are an employee and covered with a health care plan, then you no need to sign up only after the program ends, you can enrol in Medicare.  

2. Check your timing

Timing is critical to enrol yourself in Medicare as one should register themselves in the initial enrollment period, which comes during the three months before and after your 65th birthday. Or else subsequently you will be charged for late penalties and lapses in coverage. The period from October 5th to December 7th is the annual open enrollment period for those who want to switch their plans or add additional coverage in Medicare supplement insurance plans. 

3. Learn about your options

There are two types of Medicare plans in which the government provides Original Medicare on a free basis. In contrast, the other Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private insurance companies. Both the plans include Part A and Part B coverage in which A consists of hospital insurance while B is for medical insurance.

4. Look closely at prescription drug coverage.

For high-risk life insurance, you should check your plan’s formulary carefully each year to see what may have changed. As some Medicare fails to provide you with cheap medication plans, and sometimes the drugs may fall into different payment tiers. So, it is better to look out for cheap life insurance online and get facilities of excellent price comparison tools.

5. The downside of Supplemental Plans

Medicare supplement insurance plans have different criteria’s and premiums as it provides older adults with more specialized care. But in some states, the premiums also rise as you get older, thus resulting in more people staying on cheaper advantage plans.

6. Costs of Delaying

As an important tip, it is advisable to pay your premiums on time as missing your deadlines may increase your monthly premium by 10 % and it may continue until the rest of your life. Even in the case of Medicare which covers prescription drugs if you fail to pay your premium dues on time, then the government is liable to add 1% on each month’s premium for a lifetime basis. To avoid such risks, you can contact a critical illness insurance broker and share all your Medicare plans with which he will figure out cheaper paying premiums as well as save you from last-minute deadlines.

7. What Isn’t Covered

The last and the most critical step before choosing any Medicare plan is to check the plan coverage and what is not covered. Without the assessment, or else you will be exposed to potential costs if they don’t have supplemental coverage. In some cases, Medicare will pay doctors treating you only 80% of the amount and the rest of the 20 % is your responsibility. There are even times when Medicare will cover the first 20 days at 100% or else you will need to get enrolled in a supplemental plan or Medicare Advantage where typically you get drug coverage as part of the plan.